Buying a home can be a somewhat daunting experience and the process can get so jumbled up in what to do and what not to do that it is so easy to get confused and frustrated! Here are some tips on the Do’s and Don’ts!
- Do pay your bills on time! I cannot stress this enough! Lenders look at your history and they see that bills paid on time as a sign of responsibility, capability and the ability to pay your loan on time.
- Do put money back for a down payment. Not all mortgages require a down payment, but really who wants to pay PMI on top of the loan and insurance? So having a down payment shows lenders that you are capable of saving money as well as serious in your acquisition of a home.
- Do know your credit score and I am not talking about the score Credit Karma gives you. You need to know your score from the three major credit burrows, Expedia, Transunion, Equifax. Knowing your score will help you determine the rate and any conditions that may apply to your loan. For your free credit report go to http://www.annualcreditreport.com/. Be aware that they will ask random questions, like where you went to high school, to verify who you are.
Let’s move on to the Don’ts:
- Don’t quit your job! This is a huge no no! Lenders need to see that you have a strong work history and are reliable and stable.
- Don’t open a new line of credit. This could cause your score to drop.
- Don’t close unused accounts; again, this could cause a change in your score and not always for the better!
- Don’t make big purchases, cash withdrawals or anything like that. If you need new furniture wait until after closing. Again, you want to show lenders that you are, stable, capable, and responsible enough for them to lend you their money!
If you have any questions, would like to add to this, or have a comment, please let us know! If you are in the market to buy a new home or sell your home we have an amazing sales team that know the market, the location and are dedicated professionals here to help you as well as a great working relationship with Nicholas Sutterer- Mortgage Lender at Mortgage Headquarters (MHQ)! If we don’t know the answer, we can find out!
Have an amazing Tuesday!
Image Source: Google Images